At work, it was decided we would do presentations or quick demos on Facebook Live. It would be a great way to interact with our customers, we could inform everyone about the products we have to offer, and we could do quick demonstrations.
I was asked to do the second Live segment—Introduce our customers to the various pastel products available at the store. I began thinking back to a college course I took on public speaking. I decided to do an outline and begin practicing.
The outline came together easily in my opinion. I had an open (introducing myself and the topic), a middle (discussing paper, pastels, and various tools), and an ending (reminding everyone of our weekly Live presentations, where to see our calendar and where we are location for those new to our Facebook page.
A day or two before, I practiced using the outline in front of me. Soon I realized just winging it with the outline and not having real dialog would not work for me. I fumbled words and had a few seconds here and there where I didn’t speak. Working on sentences helped me determine what I wanted to say, helped me memorize important information, and minimized those areas where I blanked out on works or phrases
Now I’m practicing for the next Facebook Live segment —Creating a Pastel on Sanded UArt paper.
The segments we will be doing on Facebook Live can be found on Albright Art’s Calendar page
I thought I’d share the working process of my recent textured pastel.
After creating the first textured pastel in class, I wanted to try it at home. I used a Gessobord instead of cutting a foam/gator board to a specific size then applying gesso to it. I created an underpainting of the scene then I dripped acrylic paint to the areas where I wanted more texture to appear. One classmate worked on her textured pastel at home as she wasn’t in class for the application process of the acrylic paint. She specifically used different colors for drippings depending on their location in the image. Many of us liked that idea and I thought I would try it on this one. When the acrylic paint was dried, I applied the acrylic ground so the pastels could adhere to the toothy surface.
I started on the background and slowly moved to the middle ground. After a while, I started working on all parts of the pastel but soon realized I had a problem. The colors started becoming muddy looking especially in the trees. At this point I thought I’d try what my teacher once suggested—if it’s not working, wash off the pastels and start again.
I had done it once before and thought I’d try it again. I washed off the textured gessobord and let it dry.
Looking at the artwork, I decided more texture was needed. Once I washed off as much of the pastels I could, I let it dry then dripped more acrylic paint in some areas.
I started applying the pastels again after a few days break. This time it was working and I really liked how the trees were looking.
Once the trees were set, I worked on the remaining sections. The middle was coming along nicely but I wasn’t happy with the stream and reeds in the foreground. My teacher had recently sent an email about her new blog entry. She discussed how she washed off a section of a pastel that wasn’t working the way she had hoped.
While I had all pastels matted and framed by Sunday night, there were few small things that I needed to complete. I updated my biography and artist statement, created gallery tags for each piece, and finalized a price list.
I arrived half an hour or so after the library opened to hang my pastels. I met with a library staff member who helped me get the hook over plain rods for each pastel. Many gallery spaces uses these rods so that no nail marks are made in the wall. I was informed the gallery tags I created could not be taped to the wall. I hadn’t received any specific documentation about exhibit guidelines so it was a good thing she mentioned it to me.
Assemble Pastels into Groups
I laid out the pastels on the floor getting an idea which areas had the greatest amount of space allowing pastels to stay within a specific group. I have a number of pastels on a few National Parks, some pastels based upon a national wildlife refuge, other historical local areas, and land from a botanical garden
Once I had the space planned out, I began hanging each piece. Luckily I had help from a family member, which made hanging the exhibit even easier. Overall, from the time I arrived to the time I left the library, it took only a little more than 2 hours.
The experience of hanging an exhibit wouldn’t be complete without realizing I had forgotten something. I forgot the postcards I created and a guest book. Later in the afternoon, I came back with the postcards and guest book.
Forgot Something Again
When I dropped off the guest book, I added the exhibit title and dates to the book. What I didn’t realize was that I forgot to leave the pen I brought with me for everyone to use. Fortunately for me, a friend came to the exhibit and left a pen.